Separation or divorce is never easy. After all you have invested so much in the relationship. Often people are bewildered at the mere thought and have no idea of what direction they should take. In such instances, it is important to hire an experienced family lawyer.
There are several questions which need to be resolved. The parenting arrangements, and division of assets are some of the few things which need to be taken into consideration. Getting divorced can increase the financial stress on both the spouses. One of the spouse might not have the means to look after themselves or the children, in such instances, it becomes necessary to decide on spousal support as well. Only the right family lawyer in Darwin could help make the whole process much simpler.
When hiring a family lawyer in Darwin, make sure to keep the following things in mind:
- Before you book a lawyer make sure you check out the different family lawyers practicing in Darwin. You need to ensure that they have experience working in family law. You may even ask for friends or family members for referrals. Someone who might have been in a situation similar to yours is often the best guide.
- Do consider their areas of practice. There are some lawyers who deal exclusively in family law and then there are some who practice it as only one of their various practice areas.
- Their experience is also one thing which should be considered. Someone who has dealt exclusively with family law for years is better equipped with handing your case and ensuring that you come out of the whole situation in a better way.
- Also ensure that you know the rate which the lawyer charges. While some charge on an hourly basis, other lawyers might charge a fee once the case is concluded. No matter what their mode of payment is, it should be in keeping with your budget. Make sure you talk to three or four family lawyers to get a better idea of how things would be handled and how much you would be paying.
- Once you have met a lawyer and agreed on their free, you would be called for an initial consultation. At this time the lawyer would present you with a written retainer agreement. This agreement would consist of the services which the lawyer would be providing you. Make sure you read the agreement carefully before signing.
- Understand their billing practice. As mentioned you could be charged on an hourly basis or once at the beginning and then at the end of the case. Just keep in mind that the lawyer should be able to provide you with the account statement when you make the required payments to avoid any problems.
- You should feel a certain compatibility with your lawyer. Someone whom you are comfortable discussing your issues. Also ensure that all your financial documents and other relevant documents are in order. You may be asked to bring a copy of all these to ensure that everything goes according to plan.
Get in touch with Grays Legal’s family lawyers in Darwin. They are experts in family law, and they can definitely help you navigate the legal process with ease and confidence.