US immigration forum
The Home of US Family Based Immigration Resources.
Thank you for visiting. This is our website archive. Please visit our main website by clicking the banner above.
familybasedimmigration.com is dedicated in bringing you the resources you will need to research your immigration process. Fiance(e), Spouse and Immediate Family Visas - Green Card.

No. of permissible Entries on Re-entry Permit (I-131)

SAMCHOW
04-27-11, 12:12 PM
Hi All,

Does one get 'Multiple Entries' on Re-Entry Permit approval?

I understand the Re-Entry Permit allows one to be away from US for more than an year but what if I need to come back to US for a few days in between?

Thanks,
Sam

Raven
04-27-11, 12:38 PM
For a few days in between what? Are you going to be out of the country for more than 1 year or aren't you?

In any event, I think your question is effectively answered in the I-131 instructions.

SAMCHOW
04-27-11, 02:09 PM
Hmm... I don't think I saw the answer to this question on the instructions pages (unless I overlooked it).

This is what I meant to ask....
Say I get Re-Entry Permit which entitles me to re-enter US by April of 2012 (more than 1 year - upto 2 years) while maintaining my Permanent Residency.

What if I need to enter or fly into US in-between this 2 year period for 2-3 weeks stay? Can I do that? Or would I have issues going back and forth to US between this period? That's why I was wondering whether I would get a 'Multiple Entries' for the next year or something else?

Also, what does a Re-Entry permit look like (Card, Paper, or something else)??

Raven
04-27-11, 03:57 PM
Hmm... I don't think I saw the answer to this question on the instructions pages (unless I overlooked it).

This is what I meant to ask....
Say I get Re-Entry Permit which entitles me to re-enter US by April of 2012 (more than 1 year - upto 2 years) while maintaining my Permanent Residency.

What if I need to enter or fly into US in-between this 2 year period for 2-3 weeks stay? Can I do that? Or would I have issues going back and forth to US between this period? That's why I was wondering whether I would get a 'Multiple Entries' for the next year or something else?\
What if you need to come back for a 2-3 week period sometime before you've been gone for a year? You don't need the re-entry permit for that - you've been gone for less than a year.

What if you need to come back for a 2-3 week period sometime after you've been gone for a year? Show the re-entry permit. The next time you come back within the period of validity of the re-entry permit you don't need it anymore - you've been gone for less than a year.

Also, what does a Re-Entry permit look like (Card, Paper, or something else)??
Got Google? (It looks like a visa in a passport)

Noorah101
04-27-11, 03:59 PM
The re-entry permit is only necessary if you're going to be out of the USA for more than 1 year. Otherwise, you just use your green card to enter the USA as usual. The re-entry permit is valid for up to 2 years, I believe. So you woudn't be making multiple trips on the re-entry permit, since it's only good for 2 years, and it's only good for a stay of over 1 years (but up to two). See what I mean?

Unless you don't have a passport, and are planning to use the re-entry permit as a passport substitute (which is allowed under certain conditions). Is this your scenario?

My understanding is that the re-entry permit looks like a little booklet, although I've never seen one first-hand.

Rene

SAMCHOW
04-27-11, 05:55 PM
Thanks Raven, Rene.

I do have my passport on me.

Quick Follow Up question:
Raven: Thanks for listing the 2 scenarios. It does make sense.

I do understand that the Instructions state that one needs to apply for RP only if he/she is going to be out of the country for more than an year. But isn't it true that one needs to be in US ones in 6 month period in order to maintain Permanent Residency??? I could be way off here... :(

I sometimes also wonder if I even need to apply for the RP. I am close enough to the border and can easily go across the border for a few days (from Canada). The only reason I was thinking of getting the RP was so that I don't get questioned by the immigration officers every time I enter about my Residency (whether I am living in US or in Canada). If questioned, I can tell them that I got the RP and that I will move to US by the mentioned date.

Does this make sense... or am I wa...y off track.

Raven
04-27-11, 09:41 PM
It is not true that one needs to be in the USA once every 6 months in order to maintain their PR status.

It is true that if one has been gone from the USA for 1 year then their PR status may be lost, and that if their gone for more than 6 months there may be a raised eyebrow. It's also true that one can lose their PR status as soon as they cross the border on their way out, or they can be out for years - without re-entry permits - and retain their PR status.

What is required to maintain PR status is that the USA be a person's permanent place of residence that they intend to return to after a temporary trip abroad.

You are off base in thinking that time out of the country is the only criteria for retaining or abandoning PR status. You have a lot of company in that regard. I think you ought to discuss your plans for being out of the USA with an immigration attorney who has experience with abandonment of status issues.

SAMCHOW
04-28-11, 01:28 AM
Thanks again Raven.

Is there any help available from USCIS on such questions??? Perhaps a phone number we could dial in to get such/similar queries answered?

Thanks!!!!

TracyTN
04-28-11, 06:52 AM
There is an 800 number but it is a customer service number for checking on statuses of cases, updating addresses, etc. Even at that, they're known around these parts as the 800 misinformation line. You want sound advice, and you're not going to get that from them.

Besides, the onus is on you to understand the ins and outs of your case. Often times, the forms you're filing have really good instructions that accompany them - I would suggest reading them thoroughly anytime you file anything.

This is also why it's been suggested in here (multiple times) that you seek advice from immigration attorney.

mehta_agm1979
04-28-11, 08:01 AM
This is a very good question. Whether or not multiple entries are allowed on Re-ent permit book.

I suggest you look at www.immihelp.com or

http://www.immihelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

under section after green card. And post your question over there.

We dont have a section in here which says discussions post greencard. Its just a common category:america in general questions etc.

tx
agm

Raven
04-28-11, 08:36 AM
Is there any help available from USCIS on such questions??? Perhaps a phone number we could dial in to get such/similar queries answered?
USCIS is not the place to get answers to such questions. It's not USCIS function to provide such advice. It's CPB that is going to be inspecting you at the border, not USCIS. And finally, it's lawyers not USCIS staff who know the law. So from the both practical and ideal points of view, you would be wasting your time with USCIS.

SAMCHOW
04-28-11, 05:38 PM
Thanks again Raven.

Yup. I understand. I just wanted to learn from you and others about the process involved and whether to pursue this on my own or call upon a professional advise.

Thanks again!!!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum